Nope, no marshmallows or butt-ah in our crispy treats. These Chocolate Coconut Millet Crispy Treats taste incredible and are actually GOOD for you! You’d never know it, but they’re little protein powerhouses.
If you’re looking for satisfying, crunchy, sweet treats, these puffed millet squares will become your new favorite. They’re really simple and quick to make, and require no baking, which is always cool in our books. We like using puffed millet as the crispy base because of how incredibly nutritious it is—millet is a gluten-free grain containing a high amount of protein, iron, calcium, lysine, magnesium, fiber, and more.
These crispy treats are totally rich, indulgent, and chocolaty—and you’ll truly be treating yourself as you eat yourself healthy. Crispy treats are our favorite guilty pleasure, and when there’s no guilt involved?! C’mon, it doesn’t get better.
These treats last really well in the fridge, so make a big batch!
1 ½ cups puffed millet (use puffed quinoa or puffed brown rice if you’d like instead)
1/3 cup raw cacao powder
6 tablespoons honey or brown rice syrup (we prefer the latter)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
5 tablespoons coconut oil
3 tablespoons smooth and creamy almond butter (or any other nut butter)
1/2 cup toasted shredded coconut
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Toast the puffed millet for about 10 minutes, or just until golden and crisp.
3. Place the cacao powder, honey/brown rice syrup, vanilla extract, coconut oil, and almond butter into a saucepan and mix until it’s well incorporated.
4. Place toasted millet into a big mixing bowl, and pour the melted cacao mixture over the millet puffs. Stir well to combine, and make sure all the puffs are coated.
5. Line a baking pan with parchment paper, leaving a few inches of overhang on the sides to allow for easy removal. Rub some extra melted coconut oil on the parchment paper to prevent sticking.
6. Place the chocolate-coated puffs into the lined baking dish and press down to create an even layer of puffs. Top with toasted coconut shreds.
7. Place the pan in the freezer for about 30 minutes to allow the crisps to harden, then cut into squares (as big or small as you like).
8. ENJOY! Leftovers will last well in the refrigerator.